Pages

Sunday 10 February 2013

Final year. I am scared. I don't know much. Help.

Technically speaking, this week may not be the best start for my final year. I am tired from lack of sleep, emotionally drained, and simply exhausted. I decided to take a day off today to help unwind myself.

Since Monday, I have been doing night postings in the hospital. Once I finished my classes in the college, I will head home and freshen up. Cleaned myself, have a proper dinner and got some rest. At 7 or so, I will head off to the hospital and camped up in the O&G department. I don't know which part I dread the most. Spending time alone in the hospital or having to spend my time in that condition of a hospital. I think most probably the latter.

The first and second night were horrible. As I have to wait and wait and wait but no case came up and I ended up empty handed the next morning. I was disheartened, disappointed and stressed. By second night at 9pm I had zero case to witness. My frustrations increased more as I saw too many pregnant mothers with big bellies as if ready to pop out babies, happily walking about, not showing any signs they are giving birth soon!

But as the days progressed, I got used to it and more cases being witnessed. I think almost all posted during the night duty, i.e nurses, interns and post grads in the department recognized me already. I loitered around, checking every few hours whether any new admissions will be there, borrowing case sheets, becoming some sort of the help in the OT, you know tying up the OT dresses, giving away gloves. Well I don't mind really. People are generally nice to me since maybe they knew being in the 2nd unit is enough torture to endure after all.

What boggles my mind is, too many expectant mothers yet so few are delivering babies.They have to shift some to Gynae ward instead of the Antenatal ward due to the nonavailability of beds. Come on Indian babies. Come and see the world! Push your way through!

Here's praying to more babies being delivered this week. I have few more cases to be completed. I decided to take a night off today. I need some proper sleep and rest to face few more nights in the hospital. and probably some scoldings from my head of unit since I did not manage to complete my record in a week's time. Not my fault. Well... yes, it is my fault for not returning soon but it will be much help if you induced them to deliver when they are in 40weeks+ of gestation. I suspect they are saving cases for final year exams last week.

Oh well.

May Allah ease!